Hi Anthony,

Unfortunately, having a JIRA account is not the same as having an
Apache account.

You have to be elected an official CouchDB Committer to obtain an
Apache account. New committers are elected by the PMC according to the
rules set out in the CouchDB bylaws:

    https://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html

You'll know if you are a committer because you will have been contacted
by the PMC and gone through a process so submit a signed individual
contributor license agreement (ICLA). Your name will then appear on this
list:

    https://people.apache.org/committer-index.html

or this list if the process is still ongoing:

    https://people.apache.org/unlistedclas.html

If you are a committer, visit https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/ and
follow the instructions to link your accounts.

For non-committers like yourself, you're still able to submit GitHub
issues and pull requests, and comment on others' issues and pull
requests. You just won't be able to assign labels/milestones/etc,
close issues, or merge pull requests. Just create a GitHub account
in the usual way and you're good to go. As always, if you don't
want to agree to the GitHub Terms of Service, these mailing lists
exist as an alternative.

Hope this makes it clearer!

-Joan