Thanks Robert,

The document with all the markup from the list, templates etc renders
consistently both in curl and the browser
Files loaded from links <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="/css/main.css" />
.. load now and then, not consistently.
Same thing with images loaded for backgrounds <div class="banner"
style="background-image:url('/i/s3.jpg')"></div>
When requesting these files separately they load normally.

but not consistency. It can be 2 or 3 failed in a row sometimes.
In Safari the entire page can fail:
An example:
- I got this error first (no page loads)
{"error":"unknown_error","reason":"undef","ref":2053811356}
- refresh then only the css file failed to load
- Refresh and the css loaded
- back to the page url I would get a variation of
Nothing
The error message in JSON
Incomplete page
Complete page without css load
Complete normal page
back to one of the above

The stranges thing is when wrong images load.

A wild guess:  loading a document and having the browser request an attachment
from the same document (belonging to the content document or the design
document) gives unpredictable results. No error and normal behaviour when
throtteling down Chrome to 4G speed.

johs