> On 19. Aug 2017, at 12:50, Jan Lehnardt <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for getting the ball rolling Joan,
>
> If you are interested in the licensing/policy details, I’ve summed things up
> on my blog:
> http://writing.jan.io/2017/08/19/understanding-the-facebook-vs-asf-license-kerfuffle.html
>  — if you want to comment on this, please start a new thread, or email me
> privately. This thread is only for what we do next with Fauxton.
>
> * * *
>
> To take a bit of pressure out of this decision making process, I want to
> bring up an option that unblocks us indefinitely for making new releases at
> the expense of end-user experience.
>
> It’s a little bit of work, but not as much as anything approaching a rewrite.
>
> 1. move apache-fauxton to its own GitHub organisation outside of the ASF
> (we can always re-integrate it later)
> 2. publish release builds as tarballs somewhere on the web.
> 3. replace /_utils in CouchDB with a custom route that displays a simple web
> ui with a button “install Fauxton” that goes away once Fauxton is installed,
> that then fetches a Fauxton release tarball from outside the ASF and installs
> it on the user system.
>
> There is some infrastructure work to be done, and the added inconvenience for
> our end-users is not something I’d like to keep up for long.
>
> But should we decide to take this option (or one like it), it would allow us
> to not have to rush with a Fauxton adaptation, or be blocked on releases, or
> have no admin UI in a release.
>
> * * *
>
> Garren has already done some experiments with preact[1] (a react-API
> compatible rendering library with a compatible license) and has a basic
> prototype running. Since we are also using additional React libraries that
> have no corresponding equivalent in preact-land, Garren expects to migration
> work to take 1-2 months of development time, something I’m not sure we are
> able to afford at this point.
>
> [1]: https://preactjs.com

Small update: I’ve revisited the (private) discussion with Garren and the 1-2
months estimate was for the react css animation library only. The other big
dependency with an incompatible license is flux which is being ported to redux,
but according to Garren is still “quite a bit of work”. No time estimate
attached.

Apologies for the confusion.

Best
Jan