Hey Jan,

I've been trying to solve a similar problem from a different angle using
efficient and scalable replication via spiegel
<https://github.com/redgeoff/spiegel>. I'm super excited that you are
drafting this level of access, but my major concern is on performance. From
what I gather, if you combine all the db-per-user docs into a single DB
then you'll have a massive DB. I know CouchDB is good at sharding, but
isn't there a significant performance implication when a user's docs are
being pulled from multiple shards on different servers? What about the
added overhead of calculating cross-server views, etc...

When I think about how big companies, e.g. Facebook, solve these types of
problems, I imagine that they create a denormalized DB per user. Among
other things, this design allows the set of data that a user needs to be
relatively small and live on less servers per user. Doesn't this lead to
better performance?

Even if this new level of access doesn't solve the db-per-user case
entirely, it will still be a useful addition as it would allow for more
data to be shared and less of a create a DB-per-role setup. So, I'm all for
it!

I'll take a closer look at these notes when I have some time, but I just
wanted to get you my high-level thoughts now. I'm sorry if any of this has
been based on some wild assumptions :)

Exciting stuff!

Geoff