Hi,

The talk of crypto in the key space is extremely premature in my opinion. It it
is the database's job (foundationdb's in this case) to map meaningful names to
whatever it takes to efficiently store, index, and retrieve them. Obscuring
every key with an expensive cryptographic operation works against everything I
think distinguishes good software.

Keep it simple. The overhead of using readable, meaningful keys can be
mitigated to a degree with a) the Directory layer which shortens prefixes at
the cost of a network round trip b) prefix elision in the fdb storage system
itself (Redwood, which may land before we've completed our work).

Actual measurements take priority over the speculation in this thread so far,
and overhead (defined as the actual storage of a document versus its
theoretical minimum disk occupancy) is preferable to complicated, "clever", but
brittle solutions.

I point to my earlier comment on optional document schemas which would reduce
the length of keys to a scalar value anyway (the offset of the data item within
the declared schema).

B.

--
  Robert Samuel Newson