I'm curious what the Apache Security team's opinion is on this (they are cc'ed on every email to secur...@couchdb.apache.org).

The detailed policy for the ASF is here:

https://www.apache.org/security/committers.html

The only reference here to public/private is step 11:

> The project team agrees the fix, the announcement and the release
> schedule with the reporter.

And then in step 15, the vulnerability release is announced:

> after, or at the same time as, the release announcement.

It says nothing about saying "something's coming," for or against.

The problem I see is that if people know a problem is about to be resolved, they will look at version control closely to see if they can spot what the fix is. Because the release process takes a minimum of 4 days - 3 days for the vote to pass, and 24 hours for the mirrors to update - this could leave unpatched people more exposed for longer than they would with a "0-day".

To work around this and always give people a heads up on a release, we'd be forced into preparing all high-profile security releases in private. I did *not* enjoy when we had to do this last time (2.3.0 or 2.3.1, I think), and I'm sure no one else in the process did, either.

The "we've always got security patches in every release" isn't a bad one, but it could be a lie. We don't always fix security things. Personally I'd rather be honest (and surprise people with a patch) than lie and tell people there's patches when there aren't any.

-Joan "would like to know more from security@ first" Touzet