Hi Jay,

I don't really agree with many of the choices erlfmt makes either. I
personally like emilio's [1] syntax rules better. But, I think there
is still a net benefit to having a standardized format that is
automatically applied and enforced. The automated part helps when
reviewing PRs / contributions and keeping it consistent in the future.
And it's odd that main was reformatted but 3.x isn't currently.

I think with piecemeal conversion we'd lose the automatic enforcement
or we'd have to add exceptions allow/deny lists for files.

For blame I think it might be helpful to just have one commit for the
reformatting and one commit for make/dev* scripts so it's easy to jump
before and after the one commit that only does reformatting. I'll try
to group the PR that way (2 separate commits). This way current
pending PR can also bring first rebase the on the tooling, so they can
reformat their commits, then rebase again on the reformatted code base
to hopefully get a lot less conflicts.

[1] https://github.com/cloudant-labs/emilio

Regards,
-Nick