Heya Reddy,

there are no current plans to improve indexing performance by revising the
couchjs protocol.

CouchDB gives you these options to speed up indexing, especially larger
databases:

- increase the q value of your database[1]. Shard indexes are built in parallel
and this scales linearly with available CPU cores.

- switch to Mango where possible. Mango is less expressive than views, so not
all can be migrated. There is some light movement in making mango more
expressive, but nothing definite is available at the moment[2].

Finally, the CouchDB+FDB codebase includes a variant of views where indexes are
updated on write instead of on-read. I hope that this design, at least as an
opt-in features, makes its way to mainline CouchDB. Then you can trade-off doc
write time with index-build time.

Given the nature of the couchjs implementation, I don’t see a lot of room for
substantially revamping the couchjs protocol. If we ever move to something that
gives us a more fully fledged programming environment, there are further
options.

Best
Jan
—

[1]: https://docs.couchdb.org/en/3.2.2/cluster/sharding.html#splitting-shards
[2]: https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/3912
—

24/7 Observation for your CouchDB Instances:
https://opservatory.app