On 26 March 2013 09:58, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Tentacles is a little unusual in using Java assertions. When assertions are
> off, then [1] no longer works as expected (rather than running with
> debugging checks off).
>
> For applications in runnable jars, I think using assertions to allow
> debugging is a cool idea - controlling logging levels is sometimes tricky in
> this situation. However - by the principle of least surprise - when on the
> golden path, I think tentacles should function correctly whether assertions
> are on or off.
>
> Opinions?

That use of assert is clearly a bug because it has side effects.

The return code from mkdirs() should have been saved in a variable,
which is then tested by the assert.

Maybe it was that way once and someone inadvertently inlined the code.

If so - and to prevent it happening again - the variable should be
documented as being required.