Would it be possible to run some benchmarks so we know the performance difference between the two?

The OpenNLP POS Tagger can be customized, currently is possible to replace the feature generation, it can probably be optimized for the medical domain, the default feature generation is tuned for the news domain. Replacing the learning algorithm is currently not possible, but we will work on that for the next release.

Do you use a tag dictionary? Maybe it is possible to generate something from the existing dictionaries already
used by cTAKES.

Jörn