On May 21, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Tim Miller <timothy.mil...@childrens.harvard.edu>
wrote:
> I think the whole reason to use a machine learning approach for sentence
> detection should be to help weigh evidence with these cases where hard
> rules cause problems, mainly 1) when a period does not end a sentence,
> but also 2) where a newline does and does not mean end of sentence.

Perhaps we should consider re-training the OpenNLP sentence segmenter on some
clinical data? Presumably we can get sentences from the TreeBank annotations.

I don't know much about the OpenNLP sentence segmenter though. Does it only
classify on periods? We'd want to classify all periods and newlines. And we'd
want to add features that capture patterns like "XXX: YYY".

Steve