the concept graph used by the webapp is defined in ytex.properties.  You
can also override it using the ytex.conceptGraph system property (add
-Dytex.conceptGraph=xxx to the beginning of the ytexweb.bat java command
line).

I'm not sure about why you don't see any log output:
when I run this line specifying an invalid concept graph name:
java -cp %CLASSPATH% -Dlog4j.configuration=file:/%CTAKES_HOME%/config/log4j.xml
-Xmx1g org.apache.ctakes.ytex.kernel.dao.ConceptDaoImpl -name <concept
graph name>C:\java\apache-ctakes-3.1.2-SNAPSHOT>java -cp %CLASSPATH%
-Dlog4j.configuration=
file:/%CTAKES_HOME%/config/log4j.xml -Xmx1g
org.apache.ctakes.ytex.kernel.dao.ConceptDaoImpl -name test

I get this output (indicating that the corresponding properties file can't
be found):
log4j: reset attribute= "false".
log4j: Threshold ="null".
log4j: Level value for root is  [INFO].
log4j: root level set to INFO
log4j: Class name: [org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender]
log4j: Parsing layout of class: "org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout"
log4j: Setting property [conversionPattern] to [%d{dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss}
%5p %c{1} - %m%n].
log4j: Adding appender named [consoleAppender] to category [root].
*properties file could not be located:
org/apache/ctakes/ytex/conceptGraph/test.xml *

If you're on linux, can you play around with the file url for log4j?

Best,

VJ