From: Bruce Tietjen [mailto:bruce.tiet...@perfectsearchcorp.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:45 PM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: cTakes Annotation Comparison

With the recent release of cTakes 3.2.1, we were very interested in checking
for any differences in annotations between using the
AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor pipeline and the
AggregatePlanetextFastUMLSProcessor pipeline within this release of cTakes with
its associated set of UMLS resources.

We chose to use the SHARE 14-a-b Training data that consists of 199 documents
(Discharge  61, ECG 54, Echo 42 and Radiology 42) as the basis for the
comparison.

We decided to share a summary of the results with the development community.

Documents Processed: 199

Processing Time:
UMLSProcessor           2,439 seconds
FastUMLSProcessor    1,837 seconds

Total Annotations Reported:
UMLSProcessor                  20,365 annotations
FastUMLSProcessor             8,284 annotations

Annotation Comparisons:
Annotations common to both sets:                                  3,940
Annotations reported only by the UMLSProcessor:         16,425
Annotations reported only by the FastUMLSProcessor:    4,344

If anyone is interested, following was our test procedure:

We used the UIMA CPE to process the document set twice, once using the
AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor pipeline and once using the
AggregatePlaintextFastUMLSProcessor pipeline. We used the WriteCAStoFile CAS
consumer to write the results to output files.

We used a tool we recently developed to analyze and compare the annotations
generated by the two pipelines. The tool compares the two outputs for each file
and reports any differences in the annotations (MedicationMention,
SignSymptomMention, ProcedureMention, AnatomicalSiteMention, and
DiseaseDisorderMention) between the two output sets. The tool reports the
number of 'matches' and 'misses' between each annotation set. A 'match' is
defined as the presence of an identified source text interval with its
associated CUI appearing in both annotation sets. A 'miss' is defined as the
presence of an identified source text interval and its associated CUI in one
annotation set, but no matching identified source text interval and CUI in the
other. The tool also reports the total number of annotations (source text
intervals with associated CUIs) reported in each annotation set. The compare
tool is in our GitHub repository at
https://github.com/perfectsearch/cTAKES-compare