The typesystem has a few different basic relations:

Relation: The base type, it has no information about how many arguments
or what type of arguments it uses.
BinaryTextRelation: Between 2 RelationArgument objects, which are
wrappers for UIMA Annotation type (spanned arguments).
CollectionTextRelation: Between a set of RelationArgument objects
(Annotation)
ElementRelation: Between 2 Element objects, which are non-spanned types,
with pointers to mentions.
AttributeRelation: Between an Element and an Attribute, which is a type
of Element.

However, as far as I can tell there is no relation type which would
allow for a link between an Annotation and an Element. This use case
comes up in certain models of coreference resolution, where you attempt
to link new mentions back to clusters instead of to individual mentions.

I am interested in trying out models of this type and was going to
extend RelationExtractorAnnotator but I think the typesystem doesn't
have what we need for this case. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong,
but I would propose to modify the typesystem to make such relations
possible.

Thanks
Tim