Hi Michelle,

When it comes to
> multiple instances of cTakes in parallel
You can certainly start as many pipelines as you want as separate JVM
processes, just make sure that you divide your notes among separate batches,
one batch per process.  Also keep in mind that you don't want to clobber your
disk or reserve more ram than you've actually got available.

We have an UIMA-AS ( http://uima.apache.org/doc-uimaas-what.html ) solution
that we have used with cTAKES.  It is a small collection of bash scripts that
set up an environment and control processes.  There are also a couple .xml
descriptors and configuration files that UIMA-AS needs  At some point it should
be cleaned up a bit and checked in to sandbox, but it has been a very low
(subgrade) priority for me.  Since you are local you could check out our setup
in person if you like.

Sean