I've noticed that the ctakes-distribution doesn't seem to package the
resources. Manually downloading the resources from the website and
following the directions for coping into the resources directory
solved the issues for me.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/cTAKES+3.2+User+Install+Guide