Hi Sean and Timothy,

Thanks for your clarification about ClearTK tools. I'm amazed by the power
of cTAKES and the resource and community you guys take efforts to built. I
will certainly be happy to provide more feedback as my project moves on.

For Timothy,

By rule-based system, do you refer to the assertion annotator? How about
the old negation annotator and the status annotator, are they also
ruled-based system? I got a feeling that assertion annotator and ClearTK
system are more favored than negation annotator and the status
annotator for some reason in cTAKES right now.

Regarding ClearTK system on my test files, the negation, history,
uncertainty modules work just fine as the assertion annotator. My test
files are only a few, so it's really hard to tell which one is better. The
main difference comes when detecting subject and generic property. On my
limited test files, ClearTK system doesn't work at all. It will assign
patient as the subject for all detected phrases when it's the patient's
family member who have diabetes. The same problem goes to the generic
property, ClearTK system assigns false as the generic property for all
detected phrases. The paper mentioned by you and Sean seems interesting, I
will take a look later.

As for further questions, can you guys give me some suggestions where to
find public golden standard datasets so I can actually conduct some
independent evaluation of cTAKES by metrics like precision/recall and F1
score?

At last, a minor suggestion from the user perspective will be to add the
preferred words property to the AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor. Like I
pointed out briefly in my first email,
using AggregatePlaintextFastUMLSProcessor we can get the preferred words
for detected phrases but not AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor. This is very
helpful when the detected phrases are acronyms such as pt for patient. From
my experience, AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor tend to detect more clinical
relevant phrases compared with AggregatePlaintextFastUMLSProcessor. It will
be really nice if we can have the same preferred words property in
AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor in future cTAKES release.

Best,
Yiming

--
Yiming Zuo <https://sites.google.com/site/yimingzuo/>