From: Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:14 PM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Proposed improvements [EXTERNAL]

Last week I presented at the OSEHRA Summit about ActiveMQ (and a few
other projects) and the ASF in general.

I was surprised that most didn't know much about the ASF and more
importantly that nobody knew about cTakes, the only (directly)
healthcare related project at the ASF. There was no cTakes talk at
ApacheCon in Miami, but at OSEHRA, which is all about healthcare we
should have had a presence. I will probably submit a talk for next year,
but until then, because I think I created a bit of interest in cTakes I
went to build cTakes myself and try a few things.

Some of my findings are:
* test failures with openjdk; granted the docs mention oracle jdk as a
prerequisite, but think it's easy to support openjdk
* use of svn vs git; this is a debatable topic, but by now everybody and
their uncles are on git so moving to git (which I'd recommend) would
probably forster adoption (yes, I know about the github mirror)
* no support for OSGi, many large players use it
* improvements in logging could go a long way, starting with moving to slf4j

Suggesting improvements imply that I volunteer to do a good chunk of the
work, but before that I'm interested more in how much the community
would welcome such improvements. I am curious what are considered more
low hanging fruits, for the more controversial topics we could take them
to [discuss] threads. Because every community has its own culture and I
am not that familiar with the cTakes one, although I went through the
mail archives, I thought a prudent first step would be to start with this.

Feedback appreciated,
Hadrian