From: andy mcmurry <mcmurry.a...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, June 18, 2018 at 12:18 PM
To: "dev@ctakes.apache.org" <dev@ctakes.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Parse Medical Research Papers

UMLS SemRep and Semantic Medline are probably better resources for parsing

papers with respect to Subject, Predicate, Object.

https://semrep.nlm.nih.gov/

https://skr3.nlm.nih.gov/SemMed

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 2:40 AM, Don Flinn <fl...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

I want to parse medical research papers and am looking at using Ctakes.  I

do realize that Ctkes is aimed at Clinical Reports, but I would like to see

if I can use it for my purposes.  I'm initially looking to get a tuple of

Subject, Predicate, Object for each sentence and later additional semantic

information..

I modified ClinicalPipelineFactory.java to use  the following portion of a

research report -

"A research team based in Houston has developed a prototype for a

“bionic” heart replacement. Other designs all mimic the beating of

a heart, but due to many moving parts, the mechanical hearts

would quickly wear out. The heart developed by BiVACOR does not

beat, and instead has one moving part which propels the blood

throughout the body. The bionic heart has been safely and

successfully transplanted into animals leading to very promising

results."

I got the following result -

Entity: heart === Polarity: 1 === Uncertain? false === Subject: patient ===

Generic? false === Conditional? false === History? false

Entity: replacement === Polarity: 1 === Uncertain? false === Subject:

patient === Generic? false === Conditional? false === History? false

Entity: mimic === Polarity: 0 === Uncertain? false === Subject: null ===

Generic? false === Conditional? false === History? false

Entity: heart === Polarity: 1 === Uncertain? false === Subject: patient ===

Generic? false === Conditional? false === History? false

Entity: heart === Polarity: 1 === Uncertain? false === Subject: patient ===

Generic? false === Conditional? false === History? false

Entity: heart === Polarity: 1 === Uncertain? false === Subject: patient ===

Generic? false === Conditional? false === History? false

I assume my problem is related to the Snomed database, which is not trained

for what I want.

My questions -

Is my assumption correct?

Should I attempt to modify/extend Snomed?

Is there a better/different way to query Snomed to meet my needs?

Is there an existing database that I could use with Ctakes that would more

meet my needs?

Should I instead use the Stanford Java NLP system or the Apache OpenNLP?

I'll still need a database.

Thank you for any suggestions

Don