Hi, yes there are a lot of details and use cases that are not documented,
but there are quite a few bits of information if you take the time.

To give some quick "answers" to your questions...  (I put that in quotes
because these are interpretations and not legal opinions)

You do not need a UMLS license if you don't include the UMLS lookup
mechanism.    In this case only the Apache license probably applies
http://www.apache.org/licenses/

But if you do use UMLS, start by reading
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/databases/umls.html
https://uts.nlm.nih.gov/license.html
https://uts.nlm.nih.gov//help/license/validateumlsuserhelp.html

There are options for situations where you would centralize a ctakes
service.  Some of the provisions have to do with the fact that
that SNOMED vocabulary details are included in the UMLS output, and the
SNOMED organizations have specific licensing requirements that you can see
on their site.

I am nearly positive that you cannot use the UMLS mechanism in a for-profit
setting without an explicit license from SNOMED.  Also, regardless of
whether the service as you deliver it is centralized, as I understand the
language and diagrams on these sites, each and every end user needs to
have, and actively validate a current UMLS license.

I've been involved in something similar to what you describe, but in a
non-commercial setting, and it does validate every end user.

Peter