Hi all Apache cTAKES developers and users,

I have news on the release front ...

The Apache Infrastructure team is working on a new Artifact Distribution
Platform.  It will be used to upload and promote release artifacts, sign keys,
and host distributions in a fashion that is informative and attractive to a
user.

Some of the old/current items that are part of an Apache project release are
going to be "legacy" and there are some new metadata items that go with a
release artifact.

I see two paths moving forward:

  1.   We push on with a release of cTAKES 5.0 and release in the current style.
  2.   We wait a couple of months until the Apache Infrastructure team has the
new Artifact Distribution Platform ready and use it to release.

For #1 please keep in mind that we still haven't had a volunteer for the
primary Release Manager.  Gandhi Rajan has volunteered to be co-RM but it will
be a two-person job.

Either way can create Release Candidate source branches on GitHub to be tested
and have issues posted on the cTAKES GitHub issues list.

This manner of Release Candidate testing would be a deviation from the method
of creating Release Candidate artifacts including binary installations and
putting them in a Subversion (svn) repository online.
We can probably place "binary installation" artifacts on GitHub, but somebody
will need to check on space limits and other rules before we can make any
promises there.  If there is some barrier there then testers would need to test
binary installations by build/packaging locally on their system - which is a
good thing to have tested anyway.

So, please post any thoughts or questions in reply to this email and we can try
to figure out where to go from here.

Many thanks,

Sean