When I think faults I always think soap faults.  And I think that was
the main use case behind adding the the fault message in the exchange.
 But the fact is that a fault is just the out message from soap.  A
soap processor could inspect that out message and notice it's of a
fault variety.  So my vote is to eliminate the fault message and store
faults in the out message.

IMO, exceptions thrown by camel processors should be due to internal
camel errors due to things like not having connectivity or invalid
configuration etc. etc. Accessing a soap service which returns a fault
message should not be an exception, it's just a error response that
needs to get routed.

Regards,
Hiram

--