When you do the Import -> General -> Maven project when you have the m2eclipse
thing installed there are several disadvantages:

1) As you mentioned, things like PermGen and other flags in MAVEN_OPTS are
ignored.

2) m2eclipse actually runs "mvn", thus, the default profiles are used.   In
our case, that causes things like checkstyle and PMD to run whenever you
update anything.   I asked the m2eclipse team a few weeks ago for a place to
specify global profiles to activate (nochecks for us) to help that.  Without
that, it's REALLY slow.

3) Even though it runs checkstyle/pmd, it DOESN'T wire their configuration
into the eclipse builders/plugins.   Thus, you don't get the nice
checkstyle/pmd warnings while you edit code.

4) It also doesn't setup the warning levels and stuff that we kind of expect.
If you do the -Psetup.eclipse thing and import the projects, all of the CXF
projects should be completely warning free.   Very clean.   If you see a
warning, it's either something you did or something committed recently.

With 2.1.x/2.2, you really only need to run the -Psetup.eclipse thing once to
get the workspace setup and defaults in place.    After that, you can just
run "mvn eclipse:eclipse"    The setup.eclipse profile mostly just make sure
the checkstyle rules are installed into the workspace and sets the warning
levels and such.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp