Hi Benson, all

At the moment the in CORS filter returns 'null' during a preflight check, whenever some check fails, which means that most likely an HTTP status code will be returned to do with failure at the selection algorithm stage, but that status code may not necessarily to be the one expected by the CORS client ? I'm wondering of we should return some more specific HTTP status code instead of depending on the runtime to eventually fail this preflight request.

The other question which we've discussed with Benson is what to do in the case like this:

@Path("/somepath")
public class Resource {
   @GET
   @Produces("application/xml")
   public Book getXML() {}

   @GET
   @Produces("application/json")
   public Book getXML() {}
}

The info CORS provides is sufficient enough to select either of the the above 2 methods thus the question is what to do at the preflight check. In this case we thought we can expect a CrossResourceSharingAnnotation being added to the 'good' method, or even to the all of them, possibly uing a class-level annotation:

@Path("/somepath")
@CrossResourceSharingAnnotation(...)
public class Resource {
   @GET
   @Produces("application/xml")
   public Book getXML() {}

   @GET
   @Produces("application/json")
   public Book getXML() {}
}

or in case of POST:

@Path("/somepath")
public class Resource {
   @POST
   @Consumes("application/xml")
   @CrossResourceSharingAnnotation(...)
   public void addXML(Book) {}

   @POST
   @Consumes("multipart/form-data")
   public void upload(MultipartBody) {}
}

We can also think of some configuration tricks.
Ex, if the consumer does know that only an upload POST method is 'valid' then we can configure a CORS filter with the acceptType value which will be passed on to the JAXRS runtime to confirm that such a method actually exists

For the record, as agreed with Benson, I updated the filter to delegate to the runtime to find a valid matching method during a preflight check which is more secure than depending on the custom annotation

Cheers, Sergey

--
Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders