Hi

I've started working on the initial OAuth 2.0 support to be available in CXF 2.6.0 [1].

We already provide OAuth 1.0 support starting from CXF 2.5.0 [2] - this has been continuously enhanced during the last few months and I think it is capable enough for users seeking to write OAuth 1.0 applications with CXF to be able to rely upon it.

However OAuth 2.0 [3], is really going to hit the mainstream IMHO soon enough and we are already seeing some demand for the OAuth 2.0 support. Thus I've started prototyping the initial code to do with supporting the OAuth 2.0 Authorization Code Grant [3] and the simple bearer token [4]; this combination is the closest to the OAuth 1.0 3-leg flow, further optimized by dropping the requirement to get a request token round trip.

I'd like to keep the OAuth 1.0 code in 2.6.0 - there are quite a few OAuth 1.0 deployments out there and it would not surprise me if some users wanted to start with OAuth 1.0 gievn that it's well understood. Besides, despite OAuth 2.0 offering arguably a simpler alternative to the complete OAuth 1.0 flow, IMHO it is much more complex specification-wise. So I think we can see OAuth 1.0 being around for some time...

The other thing I'd like to mention is the possibility of relying on the other OAuth 2.0 libraries such as Amber[5]. At the moment Amber has not been released yet. Personally I'll be open to reusing some of Amber's code or who knows even contributing back to the project, but at the moment I think it is simpler to prototype some base support within the CXF as opposed to trying to build it from the get go on the project code that has not been released yet. What is also important is that as far as CXF OAuth is concerned it is all about providing utility JAX-RS OAuth services with some additional utility support. The main complexity over time will come from the optional support for MAC or JWT tokens or say OpenId-Connect profiles. This is where we'd likely need some 'help' from the 3rd-party libraries.

So for now I'm prototyping some code and hope to make the initial bits contributed in a week or so, may be earlier...

Comments are welcome

Sergey

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-4112
[2] http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jax-rs-oauth.html