Found the problem. I accidentally specified the WSDL endpoint as `
http://www.example.com:8081/TestWS/services` instead of `
http://www.example.com:8081/TestWS/services/MyTestWS`. So the automatically
generated client tried to fetch the WSDL from `
http://www.example.com:8081/TestWS/services?wsdl` which returns an HTML
page, instead of
`http://www.example.com:8081/TestWS/services/MyTestWS?wsdl`which
returns an actual WSDL. So it was false alarm - CXF works absolutely
as expected. Sorry for any inconveniences and thanks for your support!