Forgot to mention that this is related to CXF-4600 :(

Follow up (thinking CXF way and for a while ignoring previous post):

The sources we're going to talk about are located here:

http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossws/shared-testsuite/trunk/testsuite/src/test/java/org/jboss/test/ws/jaxws/jbws3552

We have the following exception hierarchy:

@XmlAccessorType(XmlAccessType.FIELD)      @XmlTransient
ExtendedAdaptedExceptionCA        ->       AdaptedExceptionCA
 * code                                    * message
                                           * description
                                           * complexObject

CXF reuses JAXB for schema generation and this is the schema we're getting:

  <xs:element name="ExtendedAdaptedExceptionCA"
type="tns:ExtendedAdaptedExceptionCA"/>
  <xs:complexType name="ExtendedAdaptedExceptionCA">
    <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element name="description" nillable="true" type="xs:string"/>
      <xs:element name="complexObject" nillable="true" type="xs:string"/>
      <xs:element name="message" nillable="true" type="xs:string"/>
      <xs:element name="code" nillable="true" type="xs:int"/>
    </xs:sequence>
  </xs:complexType>

and

  <xs:element name="AdaptedExceptionCA" type="tns:AdaptedExceptionCA"/>
  <xs:complexType name="AdaptedExceptionCA">
    <xs:sequence/>
  </xs:complexType>

In our humbly opinion because AdaptedExceptionCA is @XmlTransient annotated

see:
http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/xml/bind/annotation/XmlTransient.html

the above AdaptedExceptionCA definition generated by de facto "JAXB
STANDARD" is wrong.
If we'll ignore (will close all our eyes) the fact that inheritance is
completely broken (what is completely wrong BTW)
when mapped to XML then the above definition should at least look like:

  <xs:element name="AdaptedExceptionCA" type="xs:anyType"/>
  <!-- the below definition should never be generated -->
  <!--xs:complexType name="AdaptedExceptionCA">
    <xs:sequence/>
  </xs:complexType-->

WDYT?

PS1: Just thinking loud :)
PS2: Attached are generated WSDL sources.

--
Richard Opalka
Principal Software Engineer