Hi,

If you just call the Service svc = Service.create(serviceName);
CXF know nothing about how to build the ServiceModel as it's only a ServiceName.
When you call
port = svc.getPort(portName, MTOMInterface.class);
It can build the ServiceModel according to the MTOMInterface.class, but it
doesn't know anything about the endpoint address.
If we don't through the exception here, user will think the port object is OK
for sending invocation, and it is hard for him to track the issue in the run
time.
You still need to call the svc.addPort for it.

BTW, it's typical usage of JAXWS API, I don't think there is anything wrong
with it.

--
Willem Jiang

Red Hat, Inc.