I am thinking that for a jaxws:client, the easiest will be to define a
integration gateway which uses the same interface as the client.  On the
other end of the channel can be a service activator that executes the
actual jaxws:client.

For a jaxws:endpoint, instead of using the actual impl, I also define a
integration gateway for the interface which also ends in a service
activator which executes the original impl.  The jaxws:endpoint will
reference the gateway instead of the impl.

Now I think I only have to worry about message serialisation when using a
message-store.

Will see how I go.