For 3.0, I'd like to combine both cxf-api and cxf-rt-core into a single
jar/bundle.   I'd likely just call it cxf-core, but I'm open to other
suggestions (cxf-kernel?).

We originally tried to have a separate jar for "api" to make javadoc generation
easier, but it pretty much doesn't work.   Many of the classes (like the
Service Factories and client factories and JAX-RS client things and much much
more) that you really would need are not part of api and thus don't appear in
the "api" javadoc anyway.   Thus, that reason is pointless and not working.

API is also WAY WAY more than just "API" now.   There are interceptors, data
binding things, all kinds of concrete utility things, etc…   API is about 1MB
whereas "core" is about 270K.   Kind of shows where the real "core" stuff is.

As it is, right now, you cannot really have api without rt-core anyway.  By
combining them, we can get rid of some of the dynamic import things and such in
OSGi (to find the Bus factory).   One less jar to deal with as well.  The jaxrs
basic sample would be down to cxf-core, cxf-transports-http,
cxf-rt-frontend-jaxrs, and the related 3rd party deps.

Thoughts?

--
Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org - http://dankulp.com/blog