I would think getting users to modify a pom to exclude jaxb core is
acceptable for 3.0.1. I certainly would not have a problem especially if it
were in the release notes and clearly highlighted.

We use our own version of jaxb jaxb facets. But it will be sometime before
we upgrade to 3.x anyway.

Most likely not till 3.1