On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 2:10 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le jeu. 19 août 2021 à 22:45, Andriy Redko <drr...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Romain,
>>
>> Sorry for the delayed response. I have been thinking about your (and Jim)
>> suggestions
>> and came to surprising conclusion: do we actually need to officially
>> release anything
>> to shade/overwrite javax <-> jakarta? Generally, we could shade Spring
>> or/and any other
>> dependency but we would certainly not bundle it as part of CXF
>> distribution (I hope you
>> would agree), so not really useful unless we publish them. As such,
>> probably the best
>> interim solution is to document what it takes to shade CXF (javax <->
>> jakarta) and let
>> the end users (application/service developers) use that when needed? In
>> this case
>> basically CXF, Spring, Geronimo, Swagger, ... would follow the same
>> shading rules. At
>> least, we could start with that (documenting the shading process) and
>> likely get some
>> early feedback while working on full-fledged support? WDYT?
>>

> This is what is done and makes it hard for nothing to maintain/fix - dont
> even look at tomee solution for shading please ;) - IMHO.
> Being said it costs nothing to cxf to produce jakarta jars, that it makes
> it ee 9 compliant and more consistent for all but spring usage (ee
> integrators, plain tomcat 10 users etc...), I think it is worth doing it,
> at minimum.
> At least a jakarta jaxrs (over jakarta servlet) bundle would be a good
> progress, not sure jaxws and other parts would be helpful since they tend
> to be in maintainance mode from what I saw.
> So IMHO the best is a shade/relocation in the parent to deliver a jakarta
> artifact for all module + a few jakarta bom. But if too much - which I can
> see/hear  - a jakarta jaxrs bundle would work too short term.

I agree to start with something to preview and collect more ideas to
support ee9. It's good to have a branch to really start something for this
topic.
@Romain, do you have a prototype with shading or other tools for a jakarta
jaxrs bundle or just some basic idea that we can have a look at ?

Thanks,
Jim