I have pushed updated commits to my pull request here:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-daffodil/pull/12

I have done this in a way that I thought doesn't trash prior comments. But
alas, they seem to be gone.

I added a 2nd commit to the pull request for review purposes. I didn't
modify/squash into the prior commit, but I did have to force the branch at some
point. and I think that clobbered it.

The substantive changes are in daffodil-io and daffodil-runtime1 and
runtime1-unparser, with supporting changes in daffodil-core.

It is also not bug free yet. There is one sbt cli test not working (probably
just cosmetic changes), and one PCAP test doesn't run. (any insight here would
be helpful.... just the test_http_ipv6 fails with a bunch of differences in the
checksum)

To my knowledge all other tests and schemas work, including VMF and Link16
which had failures before.

I am concerned about performance impact. Every parse/unparse call is doing at
least some work to see if a bitOrder change has occurred, even in formats where
the bitOrder is uniform throughout.

However, there are no more change parsers/unparsers for encoding, nor bitOrder
nor byteOrder.