I'd like to discuss our need to create a new release of Daffodil, which would
be 3.1.0.

We have added enough new functionality certainly to justify a release. There
are important features already complete, there is the new Runtime2 backend, etc.

The challenge is that we have 96 JIRA tickets specifically for bugs that are
marked "major" or above in priority.  6 are marked critical, so 90 are "major".
(I am excluding all "improvement" and "new-feature" tickets in this count. Just
bugs.) Obviously we're not going to fix 96 issues super quickly.

Some people advocate a set of criteria for releases which stipulate there can
be no critical/blocker issues, and no major issues, only minor issues. However,
the status of critical/major/minor on our JIRA tickets is subjective, most bugs
are found and reported by us.

Exactly two bugs have "votes" more than zero, which reflects that we've not
been using the votes field to prioritize anything, but perhaps we should use
votes moving forward, rather than bumping priorities up and down based on our
subjective assessment of importance.

I believe we need to do a release very soon regardless of these 96 issues. In
scrolling through them, evaluating them as "are they more important than doing
our first TLP release", none of them rise to that level of importance to me.

Most of these issues are part of release 3.0.0 and before that as well, so
3.1.0 would still be an improvement.

One way to deal with the critical issues is to specifically discuss them in a
release note.

Please let's discuss openly. What do you believe must​ be in 3.1.0, that we
would hold up a release over?

-mike beckerle