GitHub does automatically create "Releases when we create a new tag.

  https://github.com/apache/daffodil/releases

Is there some API that's not available unless we manually create
releases? Are you looking to have convenience binaries also published to
these release?

What kinds of information are you looking to query from the releases?

I know some projects (including Daffodil) keep an updated "Description
Of A Project" (doap) file, which is parsed by Apache to fill out project
information that can be queried here:

  https://projects.apache.org/project.html

This is our doap file:

  https://daffodil.apache.org/doap.rdf

And this is the project page that is generated from that file:

  https://projects.apache.org/project.html?daffodil

That has some basic version and release date information. And as I
mentioned before, it requires that projects keep it up to date. I'm not
sure how many do if you're interested about other projects.