One of the metrics of project health at the ASF is number of PRs and commits on
projects.

Ours have been massively inflated by these scalabot and dependbot PRs.
(dependbot is new, but I was already observing this just from the scala update
bot).

This isn't terrible, and presumably as other projects adopt this improvement to
the SDLC all the numbers will adjust upward, with expectations adjusting upward
similarly.

I just wanted everyone to understand that "non-automated PRs" is perhaps a
future metric of note, and that we're seeing an inflated number of PRs and
commits and emails now due to these bots.

I believe that these improve the quality of our software, and reduce
maintenance burdens on the team, so I hope more projects adopt this.

I just wanted everyone to understand that there are some odd ASF "community
health" metric implications of this that I will raise in the next Apache
Daffodil Board report, just to advise them that our project (like others) is
experiencing this big flurry and new steady state, of automated PRs.

I doubt this is news, but it's worth mentioning given that we're a small new
project and the instant growth due to these bots is a one-time transient not
reflective of (and in fact overwhelming) our organic community growth, which is
non-zero, but slow. (I'm ok with it, thank you new contributors!)

I am interested in people's thoughts about this notion of counting automated
PRs separately from human-originated PRs.

I am also interested in whether people find this flurry of constant bot
activity disruptive. I admit I find it so. I am going to need to create email
rules to segregate this email traffic into folders so they're not in my daily
view, and I wonder if we need to have an informal policy that people aren't
expected to respond/review these except but once a week/month or some such.

Thoughts welcome.

-mikeb

Mike Beckerle | Principal Engineer

[cid:5d17796e-a90b-49ae-aede-06b717ee9a7a]

mbecke...@owlcyberdefense.com<mailto:bhum...@owlcyberdefense.com>

P +1-781-330-0412