From: Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2021 10:21 AM
To: Beckerle, Mike <mbecke...@owlcyberdefense.com>
Cc: us...@infra.apache.org <us...@infra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Apache JIRA vs. github "issues"

It's quite OK to only use Github Issues/Discussions - we switched to GH in
Apache Airflow ~ 2 years ago I think.

And a comment from our perspective of a big project that uses GitHub Issues at
its inception, switched to JIRA and finally returned back to GitHub issues when
they matured. Others might have different experience but this is ours (and I am
pretty sure I am representing view of pretty much whole Airflow community).

I witnessed just the last switch - from JIRA to GitHub. We stopped using JIRA
in Apache Airflow in favour of GitHub Issues and Discussions and we NEVER
looked back. Not a minute. Not even a second. Absolutely no-one missed JIRA.
Not by far.

That was such an amazing improvement in the overall workflow and contributor's
engagement. I don't even imagine how we would be able to run the project with
JIRA.

The overall experience, integration level, overhead needed to manage JIRA
issues, dual-logging-in and syncing between the two were absolutely
unmanageable for us. With GitHub Issues we chose to base our "change tracking"
based on PR# rather than Issue # optional and it made a whole world of
difference.

Especially recently with GithubDiscussions added to the mix and ability to
convert issues into discussions (and back) if they are not real issues.

J.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 4:01 PM Beckerle, Mike