Interesting that you can run the create_vsix.sh script. When I run it I get:

mbeckerle@cat:~/dataiti/git/daffodil-vscode$ ./create_vsix.sh
ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'install'
ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'compile'
ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'vscode:prepublish'
ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'package'
mbeckerle@cat:~/dataiti/git/daffodil-vscode$