I tried many things, including clean git clones of all related repos. This
problem is a very bizarre interaction.

The fact that the tests ran flawlessly under intelliJ IDEA, but failed
running sbt from the command line

I searched for sbt bugs related to exportJars. I did find
https://github.com/sbt/sbt/issues/3119, but doesn't seem related or not
obviously so.