I have a few ideas here.

I suggest work toward "next release" should happen on 'main'.

Only if needed (such as a security issue), AND there is no easy near term
new release available on the 'main' branch then we create a maintenance
branch for the prior official release. But I would do this lazily only if
needed.

For the main line of development, I would suggest just do it on 'main'.
Creating 'dev' branches can be a pain (esp if someone refactors some code).

If flags can be added to enable experimental features (that default to off)
then I suggest using that technique and keeping the development of those
features on 'main'. If this proves too clumsy then 'dev' branches are
always possible.

As for gathering requirements for next release, a roadmap wiki page laying
out themes or high-level objectives for releases or sub-efforts makes
sense. Then people can comment on it and it can be revised to match
community interest over time. Then the issues/tickets associated with the
repository can be targeted at releases described in the Wiki document when
it makes sense to do so. The base library roadmap wiki page is this:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DAFFODIL/Roadmap+for+Upcoming+Releases

There's no official policy on when and how to modify tickets to reflect
releases/plans/goals/desires. So far I think practice has been "just do it"
and modify tickets as you see fit, and if it leads to discussion and
further change here to converge community thinking, that's all just good.

-mikeb