On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 1:06 PM Steve Lawrence <slawre...@apache.org> wrote:

> And with changes to the API, we could maybe even avoid #1 without
> ThreadLocals. For example, instead of using a LayerTransformerFactory to
> create new LayerTransformer instances, maybe we just directly create new
> instances of the LayerTransformer ourselves, just like we do with
> LayerTransformerFactory now. The LayerTransformFactory doesn't provide
> anything right now except for newInstance, so maybe it can be removed
> altogether?

+1 on this idea.

Let's plan to get rid of the per-layer defined factory as part of the
object creation.

I'd like to avoid using reflection however. I'd rather not create another
dynamic link mechanism based on string names of classes. Secure java
practices keep tightening up on reflection stuff.

That's what the SPI is supposed to provide in its structured way.