From: Robert Strickland <rstrickl...@apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2024 12:00 AM
To: dev@daffodil.apache.org
Subject: EXT: Re: WSL for linux on Windows?

I also run Linux natively on my personal desktop and laptop. I typically
refrain from doing any development  on Windows systems and will go out of my
way to find any method to circumvent it. I typically find that the Windows
Terminal is sufficient enough for the development tasks I've need to complete.
Though, it did take some adjusting to get used to the different CLI environment
(setting environment variables, different CLI program arguments / options,
etc...).

I've worked on getting WSL set up on my personal desktop and attempted to do
some C/C++ development but generally end up just shutting down my PC and
booting into Debian. This is mostly due to the many "if-Windows-then" scenarios
and the lack of complete control over the environment. I think we may all be
familiar with the random occasion of attempting to delete a directory in
Windows, only to be denied access even though there's only one user.

In fact, I recently had to debug some issues on the Omega Edit codebase that
were affecting the data editor capabilities within the Daffodil VSCode
Extension. I was attempting to work within the WSL environment and was having a
rough time because of the constant issues.

First, there was an issue with trying to run a build.sh file and having bash
syntax errors on the first line of the script. After spending some time trying
to figure out why I found out that it was due to the \r\n newline and had to
run `sed 's/\r$//' > build.sh` to resolve this.

Second, I could never seem to get CMake to resolve the correct generator
(Ninja) that I had installed on the WSL environment. I even tried installing
CMake and Ninja on the Windows side of things and was still unable to resolve
the issue. I ended up having to build using the CMake Windows default SDK.

I haven't touched WSL since...

I long for the day that companies hand out development Linux laptops.
Developing on a Linux VM on Windows is often times just clunky and slow. I
don't even want to think about having to develop anything on VMs that are
accessed through the web browser... How could anyone get any work done with
there is a constant 1-2 second graphical delay?

TLDR; I found that it's too much of a setup / maintenance hassle to match the
development efficacy of running a native Linux system.