The report looks good.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Beckerle <mbecke...@apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2024 12:50 PM
To: dev@daffodil.apache.org
Subject: EXT: Please review: Draft Quarterly Board Report due 2024-03-13

WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's
email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe.

Here is a draft of our Quarterly report to the ASF Board.

If you have things to add, edit away and send back to me.  For the most part
the board's concerns are associated with the ASF theme "Community Over Code",
as in is our project healthy and moving forward. They're less interested in
technical details.

Due by end of day (midnight UTC) on Tuesday, which is tomorrow. Sorry for the
late notice.

The mission of Apache Daffodil is the creation and maintenance of software
related to an implementation of the Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
used to convert between fixed format data and more readily processed forms such
as XML or JSON.

## Project Status:
Current project status: The project is healthy based on ongoing activity and
releases.

The DFDL Standard from the Open Grid Forum (OGF) was accepted as ISO/IEC 23415
(say "Eye-so two thirty-four fifteen") in December 2023.
Publication of an official ISO version of the standard is in process.

The last release was Daffodil version 3.6.0 which was released on 2023-10-27.
Release 3.7.0 is planned for later this month.  This should enable completion
of the our first tight inter-project integration which is with Apache Drill.

The last release of the VSCode extension for Daffodil version 1.3.1 was
2023-09-12.
Release v1.4.0 is planned for March/April 2024 timeframe.

 Issues for the board: none.

 ## Membership Data:
Apache Daffodil was founded 2021-02-16 (3 years ago)

There are currently 19 committers and 18 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- A new committer and PMC member, Peter Katlic, has just accepted and is in
process of being added (ICLA etc. in the works)
- last prior addition was Regis Thomas on 2023-08-01.

 ## Project Activity:
Collaboration on the Drill connector to Daffodil will resume once
3.7.0 is released.

A minor observation is that much of the VSCode extension discussion happens on
commits threads, not dev. It is recorded in the github traffic on issue tickets
and PRs. Hence, volume of emails on our dev list alone are not sufficient to
understand the level of activity on the project as a whole which is robust.

## Community Health:
Activity level is acceptable and our metrics reflect that, but overall there is
good participation.