Hi Majid,

>  I want to know about what length units are supported by open document.
> The specifications provide many units. I was curious on which ones of
> them are actually implemented in Open Office. I am specifically curious
> about 'pixel' (px) length unit. Right now, I am using inch unit (for
> page width, height, margins etc).

I am not sure if Pixels are implemented (see below), but the logical
units - inches, metric units, and the like - should all work, AFAIK.

> Also, does anybody know of a general mechanism to transform pixels to
> inches. Right now I am using 72 pixels/inch, which seems to work fine
> for now.

There is no special mechanism, and there cannot be one.

"Pixel" is a device-dependent measure. If you say that something is "20
pixels high", then this statement does not really have a value, unless
you say which device this refers to.

Devices (screen, printer, and so on) have a resolution associated with
them, and only this resolution allows you to transform pixels into
device-indepdent units such as inches.

So when you use 72 pixels/inch, then you implicitly assume that the
device which your original coordinates refer to has a resolution of
exactly 72 pixels per inch. This might or might not be correct, but
nobody can tell without knowing the device.

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Database                   http://dba.openoffice.org -