Some more details on the column name "D":

OOo1.1.5 on Win98 tells some more if the query is written in the GUI
query composer in SQL-mode and then switching to the other mode or
trying to execute the query:

<Error message>

Syntax error in SQL expression
parse error, expecting 'BETWEEN' or 'IN' or 'SQL_TOKEN_LIKE'

</Error message>

Time to shoot at the SQL parser, I think ...

I made arbitrary combinations of columns one of which was named "D" and
had different types with different combinations of DB and driver. Any
time the name in question is involved, trouble is coming up.

Using the table directly with mysql and ODBC or XMySQL works flawlessly.

Marc