Hi Michael,

> I would like to store default values and the column descriptions in the odb
> files as we do not fully support them in the database. Is it right that base
> can do this for us or must the driver implement the functionality to store
> the values in the odb files? I have neither an idea how to tell base to do
> this for me nor how to do it my self in the driver :(

The driver does not need to know about this at all.

Assuming that we talk about the ControlDefault as mentioned by Ocke (the
DefaultValue is effectively unused), this should work automatically: The
table design fills the property with what you enter there, the ODB
export filter retrieves and writes it.
Uhm, trying that with an embedded HSQLDB in OOo 3.1 it seems this isn't
the case ... need to verify that, but it seems that's a general problem
then.

For the description, the same holds: this shouldn't be a concern of your
driver at all, it should all be held in higher layers. (And here it even
worked for me with embedded HSQLDB.)

So, if with your driver, this is lost, I cannot really think of a
reason. However, the object hierarchy in dbaccess/source/core/api is
rather complex, and Ocke knows more about this than I do. Perhaps
depending on certain characteristics of your driver, the wrapper code
behaves differently/wrong.

I suggest you start debugging this in dbaccess/source/ui/tabledesign,
OTableEditorCtrl::SaveData. Check whether the description is properly
propagated there. Then, in TableController::alterColumns, check whether
the proper description is set as PROPERTY_HELPTEXT at the column, and,
more interesting, where this setPropertyValue call actually arrives -
which class implements this property? Compare this with
ODBExport::exportColumns in dbaccess/source/filter/xml: There's a
getPropertyValue( HELPTEXT ) call - where does it arrive, ultimately?
Which implementation provides this value?

(Compiling comphelper/source/property/* and
cppuhelper/source/propshlp.cxx with debug=1 might come handy, to be able
to step through all involved property set helper classes.)

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         frank.schoenh...@sun.com -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -