hi,
me and several other guys do experience difficulties in
connecting from oo 3.x to ldap servers. see:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=86482&sid=ae72a99daddddd9cf5c0714f8824e829
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20896&p=94733&hilit=ldap&sid=55e6bbb6ce8dd93f7bfd176aaa063a64#p94733

does anybody from the dba development team have a clue about this issue?
for me it looks like the support for connecting to ldap servers was
disabled, as the ui accept all the parameters for registering the
server, establish a database by constructing the oo base file
and shows the existence of a single table called 'ldap directory'
but actually does not attempt to make a connection (no log entries
in corresponding ldap server) to that table which results in a missing
table view of the connected server. when trying to open the displayed
table an error message appears reading something like:
'cannot load data from table. timeout error occured.'
but, as said, it seems there is no connection attempt when looking at
the server's log (a closer look by traffic sniffing is pending...).
the ldap server (read-only) connectivity was working since the early
days of staroffice, so it does not make any sense, if not something was
changed or even disabled. i've switched back to oo 2.4.2 and by using
the same parameters everything works out fine.
perhaps ldap connectivity is not high priority in the development
process but for people (like me) which are relying their whole address
management (including mail-merge functionality) on ldap connectivity
the disabling of the driver is major drawback.

any hints or comments are greatly appreciated (maybe it turns out,
that this issue is due to misconfiguration...)
thanks in advance

lester