From: John D. Ament [mailto:johndam...@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 10:14 PM
To: deltaspike <dev@deltaspike.apache.org>
Subject: Cutting over to Java 7

All,

I wanted to get opinions for how to cut over to Java 7.

There's two ways I've done similar cut overs in the past, wanted to share them
and build out some ideas.

1. Continue maintenance on 1.6 for x months.  When we decide that we're going
to cut a 1.7 we do the switch then.

2. Decide now that the next release is going to be planned as 1.7.  If we need
to do maintenance on 1.6 we branch from the tag and merge back in when done.

The former is safer, but will take longer.  The last minor release had the most
patch releases on it, 4.  The latter is more practical and shows implementation
much quicker.  It creates a bit more overhead as we'd need to merge branches.
In the 4.5 years of deltaspike, we haven't had to do it thus yet.  I suspect
that given our user base, #2 would be acceptable since most everyone's using
Java 7+, so it seems a small chance that we'd run into a JVM difference.  I'm
not sure if others have different ideas to throw out.

John