@john:

we just force the level of one logger (used by us) to avoid that important
information (start/stop/failed messages) get skipped (due to a global
config).
e.g. some jpa-issues (esp. in combination with in-memory-dbs) can lead to
strange side-effects in @Before/@After logic (-> e.g. the >next< test
fails).
-> this information can help a lot!

before this part was moved to ds, it was possible to disable those
log-entries. people did that ~frequently until they hit such an issue.
once they spent hours in analyzing random side-effects across test-methods,
they usually enabled it again (because they realized that it would have
taken way less time to analyze the issue).
some argued that they could enable it just on their ci-server or in case
there are issues, however, it turned out that people forget about it...
-> the config-option was dropped (esp. because 2 log-entries per
test-method isn't a big deal).
-> if we provide a config-option to disable such log-entries, you can do it
- but on your own risk (to miss essential information)...

regards,
gerhard