Jim,

You would not by chance happen to know of a GPL
licensed open source implementation would you :-)

I think the part about this behavior that is disrespectful
to the Apache Directory community is that you know that it is
targeting having this type of capability, and every time
you see someone looking for it, you slide in an opportunity
to steer them towards "A Googled open source" implementation,
which has the potential of diverting attention from Apache Directory
code.

It seems like you have have had much benefit
from the ApacheDS implementation, and you created something
on top of it that you licensed GPL making it completely
incompatible with our efforts here.

I personally have 0 interest in a virtual directory at the moment,
but I know many of the developers here do, so how about
we give them a break and show some appreciation for what
they have enabled you to do.

Cheers,
- Ole

Jim Yang wrote:
It is definitely possible using ApacheDS, but you have implement your
extension using ApacheDS interceptor. What you mentioned  is a well
known concept called virtual directory. If you have the resources to
implement this, I would recommend that you do implement it. That would
be a great addition to ApacheDS.  If you don't want to write the code
yourself, you can try to google it to see if there is an open source
virtual directory  implementation out there.

On 5/24/07, Eric J. Christeson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 04:42:09PM -0400, Mark Swanson wrote:
> I'd like to chime in and say that the existing architecture enabled me to > implement a form of triggers, stored procs, dynamic views, and a new way of > handling indexes. Also, thanks to the flexibility of the design I was able

I'm interested in how easy/difficult this was. We're looking at a project which would present an LDAP interface to an SQL database backend. Without
getting into too much detail, the idea is that we want to present an LDAP
interface to an SQL database backend that contains identity information. The
LDAP interface will allow authorized admins to update information on
identities they are responsible for with familiar tools, while the SQL
backend is desirable for updating from our authoritative source.
I've been looking at writing a backend for OpenLDAP, but upon seeing
your message, ApacheDS might be a better alternative.

Thanks,
ERic

--
Eric J. Christeson                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Information Technology Services         (701) 231-8693 (Voice)

PHP is a minor evil perpetrated and created by incompetent amateurs,
whereas Perl is a great and insidious evil, perpetrated by skilled
but perverted professionals. - Jon Ribbens